Friday, March 15, 2013

You only live once

There are two things you need to know about "YOLO"
1) It means "You Only Live Once"
2) It is the most overused... thing... acronym... whatever.

I am currently on a school trip with a bunch of other nerds from my school.  This trip entailed a 5 hour drive. You stick 7 college kids in a van for 5 hours and things get interesting. In this case: Everything anyone says is followed by yolo. "Dude that's yolo-ing there!" [Yeah, apparently it's a verb now] "Nah... that's not yolo. That's just dumb."

So why do I bring this up? To talk about how goofy my friends are? Not really.

Here lately I've been contemplating the long held idea to live life to the fullest and enjoy it.  For some, they say drink, smoke, sleep around. If that's what you enjoy, do it. I am not endorsing this; however, let's dig into this a little.

Put aside morals and ethics for one moment.  One thing people of such a mindset do great is partaking in things they enjoy.  They do what they believe will allow them to live a full life.


So, why do many of us as Christians live so safely? Why take the easy way out? Jesus himself said in John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

Wake up, guys! You got God on your side! Enjoy your life! Am I saying be crazy and party? Absolutely not. But enjoy the few years on earth God has given you! Give your best to God in everything you do and do it with  joy.  Be happy. Smile. Take a chance or two. And I can't believing I'm saying it.... but yolo. You only live once with your few years God has given you. Enjoy them!

No comments: