Wednesday, January 23, 2013

From "Hooked on Phonics" to Editor in Chief

I was almost held back from Kindergarten because I couldn't read. However, my teachers and parents took a leap of faith and put me in first grade. To solidify and aid this decision my mother began me on the bane of my 6 year old existence: Hooked on Phonics.

I did the work under protest but slowly learned to read. I'm sure my mother can tell you more stories than I can, but it was a struggle. I did in fact survived the torture and became a good little student. However, my hatred for reading and writing stayed elevated.

Slowly, though, things began to change. I was first introduced to the wonderful world of Harry Potter in middle school and fell in love with the series. Then, I began to read my Bible.  I would tell people the only things I will read are Harry Potter, the Bible, and whatever I have to read for school.

Once J. K. Rowling finished the series I was completely inspired. I began to write a magical book of my own. Now, don't ask me to see it. It was horrible, but it was a start. However, my grades in writing at high school were still average or below average compared to my peers so I decided that I clearly was not a good writer.

Eventually college rolled around and I cringed a little inside as I walked into class. If I was a bad writer in high school, college is going to kill me. I was pleasantly surprised.  Writing in college still requires proper grammar and organization, but it has so much more freedom.  In addition, I had found a teacher who told me I was a good writer.  This blew my mind and I did not believe him.

Soon I became involved with the newspaper, but not really by my will.  My friend and the Editor in Chief of the paper at the time convinced me to write an article about science and faith. Then, he kept asking me to write more! And then to become and editor! And then...to become Editor in Chief. My reaction? No way. I just learned a few months ago that I can write well and now you want me to edit and be in charge? No.

However, through prayer and contemplation I have accepted the position of Editor in Chief of the Hilltop News. I know I have a lot more to learn, and I am so excited to begin this yearlong journey tomorrow. I can't wait to see what happens.

This is what I want you to understand: there is also more to you than you think. Don't underestimated yourself.  Have faith in yourself.  Listen to those smarter than you. You may not know what you are capable of. I sure didn't.

No comments: